'An tOcras Mór' The Great Hunger.

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Poems & Songs Of "The Great Hunger" > A Poem Composed near a Work-House Gate, Co. Westmeath

kevinfitzsimons

Empathy for the Dead

Once I stood before that gate,

and working free my hands to take

a photo through the mist and rain

a curious thing it seemed.

Instead of falling from the sky

the drops from earth appeared to rise.

--

Kevin A. Fitzsimons

April 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy T.

The blood and sweat,

from suffering and toil

rose to heaven

from that soil.

SCT

Apologies....I have this thing about continuing prose..... 

Lovely Kevin.....

--

Photobucket

April 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kevinfitzsimons

Hey Sandy, I like your continuation of the poem.....we can be joint poets together!  ;o)

--

Kevin A. Fitzsimons

April 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy T.

Indeed! And thank you! I have written a lot of poetry over the years, have 2 published...although lately I've had writers block...but since i undertook this venture here with you all, it seems to be creeping back. So....perhaps I shall eventually have something a little more complete in regards to the subject. The thoughts are there, now i need to sort them out and set them to paper.

It is sad though, that it took the suffering and death of my ancestors to bring the inspiration that unlocked my mind.

--

Photobucket

May 2, 2010 at 9:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SWIFTY
Site Owner

Sandy i know what your saying i have loads of bits sitting around in various books notepads ect , putting them all together is a task i should sit down and do some day .. :D

--

WHEN GENOCIDE BECAME "FAMINE" : IRELAND, 1845 - 1850

This petition seeks your support for a campaign to:

* Persuade relevant authors, editors and website content providers to stop using the word ‘Famine’ for what took place in Ireland between 1845 and 1850, and start using terms such as, "The Great Hunger" or 'An tOcras Mór

PETITION LINK- TO CHANGE THE WORD FAMINE http://www.petitions24.com/when_famine_became_genocide_ireland_1845_-_1850

May 2, 2010 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy T.

I know that feeling Swifty! Post it notes, dinner napkins, whatever was available when the inspiration hit....then it sits, waiting to be brought to life as a whole. Know it well!

Oh!!! BTW!!!!! I adore the new look of the site! The backgrounds are wonderful! You are both to be congratulated! Bravo!

--

Photobucket

May 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SWIFTY
Site Owner

yeah brought a bit of life to it , been at it all day 

yeah i have added some of my poems in here , your so right about wrote on anything lol scares me sometimes when i read stuff and see how angry i was about some situation, but then i read other stuff that lightens my sprits , suppose that is the thing about poems you can express everything 

swifty xx

--

* Persuade relevant authors, editors and website content providers to stop using the word ‘Famine’ for what took place in Ireland between 1845 and 1850, and start using terms such as, "The Great Hunger" or 'An tOcras Mór

PETITION LINK- TO CHANGE THE WORD FAMINE http://www.petitions24.com/when_famine_became_genocide_ireland_1845_-_1850

May 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SWIFTY
Site Owner

yeah brought a bit of life to it , been at it all day 

yeah i have added some of my poems in here , your so right about wrote on anything lol scares me sometimes when i read stuff and see how angry i was about some situation, but then i read other stuff that lightens my sprits , suppose that is the thing about poems you can express everything 

swifty xx

--

May 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy T.

This is so very true...they are the vehicle to convey anything...no matter how light or deep.

--

Photobucket

May 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.